Picture
I recently gave up on one of my best friends...

I had to. We had reached a point as a family where things were really hard.

In the midst of modern day life we had become so tied up in the ‘busyness’ of it all that the fundamentals of what make a person and a family happy, were beginning to suffer, or rather, were suffering.

So it was time to simplify.

For a long time I just kept plugging away, knowing I was busy, too busy, but not knowing what to do about it. It’s an all too common occurrence that we don’t get motivated to make change in our life until there’s a crisis or we hit rock bottom. So with a great feeling of despair upon me, I decided enough was enough.

I was sitting at my kid’s swimming lessons. I was looking at Facebook on my phone when I really should have been, and wanted to be, watching the girls in the water. What’s with that? Why would I do that? I feel it was indicative of what was the crux of our problem – there’s always something else to be doing, something else to be busying ourselves with instead of being committed to the real and the present. Life has become chaotic in a sense and we are too often living in the past, the future or the un-real when in fact, we only ever really have the actual and the now.  In that moment, I literally said out loud, 'what the hell am I doing?' So I logged out, deleted the app and decided right then to begin an extended break from social media.

That was my starting point for implementing a number of changes to simplify and calm our life. My husband was right on board. Once I began with something, it felt easier to change other things. We’re around six weeks in and have implemented a few other modifications too:

We’ve taken the kids out of those swimming lessons. The two older girls do dance class on a Monday, netball on a Friday night and had swimming lessons on a Thursday arvo. 3 nights per week of being in-and-out of the car, trying to squeeze readers, bath time, a healthy dinner and some downtime in and around their scheduled activity is too much for kids aged 8, 6 and 3. As well as for their 30-something parents! When the weather warms back up and netball is finished, we’ll get them back in the water then. Bor now, no swimming works.

As I mentioned, we gave up a very dear friend; our beautiful dog, Doug. It breaks my heart that we did but with barely enough time in each day to give our girls what they need, an energetic, smart, affectionate Border Collie puppy wasn’t really something we should have added to our plate. He’s gone for a stay at our family’s farm and if he settles in well, he’ll remain there. Running around in a paddock with sheep all day and riding on the back of the 4 wheeler with the wind in his face is what he deserves – not being left alone in our backyard getting one 40 minute walk and a quick hug each day, if he was lucky. You see our eldest has a fear of dogs (she was determined to try her own pet but hasn’t taken to him like she and we’d hoped). My husband isn’t really into animals and whilst the younger two loved him, they found his boisterous puppy ways a little much at times which left me to love, feed, exercise and discipline him.  I told myself I had the time for it but soon learnt it wasn’t really the case. It took me a long time to admit we weren’t the best family for him and even longer to let go of the notion that real families with happy kids have a dog. So often the pressure we feel around these situations, we bring on ourselves. We miss him a very much but it was definitely the right decision to let him go.

We’ve restructured our weekly schedule to ensure there’s now one week day at a minimum where I don’t have to go anywhere. This is a day which now allows me the time to get the kids off to school with no other distractions and our 3 year old the chance to stay in her pj’s if she wants, watch play school and generally potter about with no timelines to follow. It’s proving therapeutic to the both of us and flows onto the rest of the household by way of things being organised and calm when everyone else arrives home. We're also trying to have at leats one day on the weekend where we can stay home and make the day about resting, making and eating great food and generally doing as we please. It’s a great feeling to have a day where there are no deadlines or demands.

We’ve started saying no. And the world hasn’t ended! If I’m feeling a little under the weather, I’ll be an apology at the meeting. If it’s going to stretch things for one of us to keep an appointment, we’ll reschedule. If we’re tired or just don’t feel like going out, we’ll cancel. If we don’t want to do something, we’ll say no. Hardly rocket science hey. Then why did it take us so long to feel we could do it? Since when was making our own needs, health and wellbeing not a priority?

I’ve made a conscious decision to stop investing in a quantity of people and invest only in the quality individuals in our life. This is something my husband has always been very good at. Me, not so much. It’s so important not spread yourself too thin. As individuals we can’t be everything to everyone. Whilst I try to always be kind to all I encounter, from now on, it’s in those who really matter, and return the love, where I shall be investing my energy.

I also spent some time and a little money on attending a weekend retreat centred around positive mindset, self awareness, being present, nurturing yourself and those you love. Investing in yourself and therefore your family is so rewarding. Learning from people you admire and immersing yourself with like-minded individuals is one of life’s simple pleasures and has certainly given me the tools I need to effectively reset, reprioritise and revamp.

On the social media front, I am easing back into Facebook slowly and will get back onto Instagram soon. After all they are both things I enjoy and that can bring good into our lives. But I had, to a point, let them take over. The break from it all has been so refreshing. I went from admittedly spending multiple hours per day using the medium to zero use overnight. Cold turkey. And did I miss it? Not one bit! It was so nice. In fact, I now wonder how I used to fit it in.

The break has been very beneficial and I now feel rejuvenated and ready to restart with it. I have made a number of modifications to simplify my future online experiences though, including reassessing who I interact with on FB, un-liking many pages, leaving a few groups and turning off most notifications. Going forward, I’ll be limiting my use of social media to ensure I’m more present with my family and engaging in the real life I have right in front of me. I’ve also unsubscribed to most of the meaningless emails we were receiving and stopped answering calls from unidentified numbers. If it’s important they’ll leave a message.

With these starting changes in place and more to come, I’m already feeling much calmer and our home is a nicer place to be. More often I’m finding delight in the simple things like the kids playing, a great cup of coffee, warm hugs and the beautiful sunshine. I’m laughing more and feeling overwhelming gratitude for many of the people and things I have always taken for granted. Of course, there’s still the emergence of the day-to-day problems and negative feelings and emotions but I’m handling them better and not allowing them to dictate my overall frame of mind.

We still have a way to go, and in reality will probably always be striving to create a better/happier/calmer environment for ourselves and our girls but things are looking up and right now things feels great.

Life is good. And what more is there than that?

x

Leah

Comments

Jacinta munro
20/06/2016 12:21am

Leah I think this is just simple and beautiful, a lesson for us all, thank u for sharing cin 😎

29/06/2016 5:22pm

I feel so bad at what happened in your dog. It is not easy to remove the pain in your heart. We are actually looking alike. My favorite dog in our village was gone. His name is John. He died 4 years ago. I miss my dog so bad. He died due to his severe sickness. I consider him as my family. He's not just an ordinary dog. I value every dog so much. My dog is one of a kind. I believe that life must go on.

27/08/2017 4:40am

Visit it! to get more information >>>>>> https://www.healthsupreviews.com/enduro-core-extreme/

Enduro Core Extreme It is advisable to go for spontaneous forcefulness amplifier kinda than in winning immense quantity of insidious chemicals active in syrupy drinks Enduro Core Extreme.

21/01/2017 12:04am

Nitro MXS Lots of us experience that Nitro MXS we're able to making our personal choices, but Nitro MXS the medical doctor can.

Adele
20/06/2016 1:12am

So wonderful to read...choices & change for the good are not often seen clearly...but when they are...WOW...life really is GOOD :)

Jo
20/06/2016 12:37pm

Happy to read I wasn't the friend you had to let go of. Great read. X

Carly
20/06/2016 4:42pm

Thanks for sharing Leah. I think a lot of people are in the same situation. Definitely giving me something to think about

Jenny Joned
20/06/2016 8:35pm

Good on you Leah, enjoy the simply pleasures and breathe xx

This is always so motivated to do such things and it is good for you too. Things are always not same as we think about it and it helps a lot when we start exploring the things.

04/11/2016 6:10am

Select from the most innovative natural beauty products and make-up options, and have them delivered right to your door. Browse our avon brochure for the finest in care for all skin types and shades, from palest ivory to rich ebony. And best of all, many of the products are created from 100% natural ingredients, for safe, effective skin care, and naturally beautiful results.

14/07/2016 3:54pm

Letting go of people really is one of the sign that we are maturing. Losing people in our lives is inevitable. We begin to critically examine how good or bad our friends and acquaintances for us. Having a family magnifies that reality. We tend to become focused on the lives of our family that we simply cannot keep up with our social life.

16/07/2016 9:37am

A very important factor is for kids, something is not right if kids 4 yr old knows where to discover the knifes and has accessibility them. But, before you say anything to anyone about this, you should make sure that that is what is going on.

17/07/2016 12:38am

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.

Enjoy your weekends!

26/07/2016 1:28am

This is fantastic! It really shows to me where to amplify my online diary. I construe that sooner or later on I might endeavor to make a book to oblige my web diary, yet we will see.Good post with supportive tips and contemplations.

15/08/2016 9:04pm

Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”.

I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

10/09/2016 12:25am

I am happy and satisfied after reading the article you shering information on this page.

15/11/2016 6:37pm

Mahima Sharma for hire high profile Mumbai escorts girl with full enjoyment. Get 24 hours Services by hot Female companion in Mumbai.

25/02/2017 10:30pm

Because of their rather specialized use, routers are one of those tools you may or may not see in the workshop. They're used for doing detail work primarily in wood, but are also used on soft metals and plastics.

10th ssc results 2017 ap,
<a href="http://www.ssc10thresults2017.in/">ap 10th Class Result 2017</a>
ap ssc results 2017 name wise,
[url="http://www.ssc10thresults2017.in/"]ssc results 2017 telangana grade wise[/url]
ssc results 2017 telangana grade wise,
ap ssc results 2017,
ap ssc 2017 results

06/05/2017 10:48pm

Keep sharing.

19/05/2017 8:20pm

Nice information.

13/07/2017 5:41am

Best Quickbooks Support Number, Quickbooks Help, Quickbooks Support, Quickbooks Support Number, Quickbooks Support Phone Number, Quickbooks Tech Support Number, Quickbooks Tech Support Phone Number, Quickbooks Technical Support Number, Quickbooks Technical Support Phone Number, Quickbooks Customer Support Number, More info visit :- www.quickbooksaccountingsolution.com

13/07/2017 5:45am

Best Quicken Support Number, Quicken Help, Quicken Support, Quicken Support Number, Quicken Support Phone Number, Quicken Tech Support Number, Quicken Tech Support Phone Number, Quicken Technical Support Number, Quicken Technical Support Phone Number, Quicken Customer Support Number, More info visit :- www.quickenaccountingsolution.com

13/07/2017 5:48am

Best Sage Support Number, Sage Help, Sage Support, Sage Support Number, Sage Support Phone Number, Sage Tech Support Number, Sage Tech Support Phone Number, Sage Technical Support Number, Sage Technical Support Phone Number, Sage Customer Support Number, More info visit :- www.sageaccountingsolution.com

08/08/2017 2:21am

25/08/2017 9:29pm

Your website is definitely a good method to continue to keep updated with what is due to a crafting encircles. The fact pertaining to cheapcustomessayriting expert services is definitely this the majority of will be below ordinary. The following ought not to be so because amount should really never specify the additional value.

10/09/2017 8:45pm

Diving, and seeing the coral reefs flourish in the blue sea.

16/09/2017 2:37pm

Good and interesting. Their comments can be passionate.

22/09/2017 12:03am

Here, we learn English to improve our skills in English. Special occasions can be studied at kampung inggris.

28/09/2017 4:44pm

An expensive bird in this year. Canaries can be expensive when winning a race. However, there are three types of Canary birds that have been expensive since birth into the world, such as Canary Yorkshire, Lancashire Canary, and Walnut Canary.

14/10/2017 2:05pm

Much thanks to you a great amount for this and continue sharing.

19/10/2017 2:47am

Kotok Island Kepulau Seribu is one of the best diving areas in the Thousand Islands. Vegetation on the island is still original. Underwater panorama on the island really spoil the divers

25/10/2017 2:53am

We will come to your place and give you a replacement car. Have an accident on the highway that caused your car to break down? No need to worry because of the incident.

30/10/2017 8:51pm

We design various independent home floor designs. The independent floor house allows the owner to enjoy an independent living unit at an affordable price when compared to the bungalow design.

01/11/2017 1:48pm

Modern house design in this case can be interpreted as an architectural art that put forward by the composition of the mass of dynamic, non-axial and most importantly based on the formation of the balance of spaces

04/11/2017 1:48am

The brand removal lawsuit may also be filed when the trademark owner does not use the mark on the trade in goods or services as registered for three consecutive years, so that the mark can be freely reused by anyone.

08/11/2017 1:06pm

This type of service is a type of car rental with a period of time based on daily usage. In this type of service, you can choose to use the services of a driver that has been provided or without a driver.

10/11/2017 12:34pm

The successful coach to bring Chelsea last season's champions had to undergo a difficult start to the season. Abramovich's dinner invite to Mou was present amidst pressure directed at Antonio Conte.

12/11/2017 2:16am

If you need a minimalist home reference, then look at the design of homes commonly used by Indopsian eople.house design in general utilize glass materials, wood, ornamental plants, as well as some simple furniture

15/11/2017 1:09pm

In the interior, masculine colors with little blend with other colors can be an option for the living room, living room, or kitchen and dining room.

23/11/2017 3:03pm

We offer SEO services to enhance and maintain your site's pagerank with full and responsible service. We are dedicated to put your site in the best position so as to encourage visitors to enter your website.

25/11/2017 2:07pm

Using seo professional services turned out to provide a great effect in terms of website traffic, media users who seek information will certainly be more interested to see the website that was first page search engine.

28/11/2017 12:45pm